Friday, November 11, 2005

Yummy treats and politesse abound at GA French Bakery in Duluth

On two occasions this week I visited the GA French Bakery (3512 Satellite Blvd., Suite 5, Duluth, GA 30096; 770-622-2682) near the corner of Satellite Boulevard and Pleasant Hill Road. My first visit was on Wednesday when two hours into a crumby work day I decided that the only thing that could sway the on-coming crabbiness was sweet sweet pastry. GA French Bakery was a place I had passed several times and even stopped at once before but for whatever reason I hadn't made it a regular stop on the periodic midday hunger run.

Famished for something sweet and anxious to refresh my French, I greeted the baker with a hearty Bonjour. The display case was filled with a variety of flaky pastries, both fruity and chocolaty. There were cookies, brownies and danishes along side the traditional croissants and baguettes. The cakes and pies were nothing like the bland thawed imported varieties you get at a restaurant. These were real desserts -- manna in filo dough.

Not knowing the French equivalent for cinnamon roll, I ordered "deux cinnamon rolls et une baguette, s'il vous plait." The baguette was an afterthough just because they looked and smelled so delicious. We chatted a bit en français, the baker and I. He remarked on my level of French (the surefire way to serve any francophile's ego.) When he rang up my total I reached for my debit card. He responded with a wave of the finger and told me he didn't accept credit cards but would gladly accept a check. After furling through my wallet for cash or check I could see that my cash was limited to four dollars and I had no checks. My total was six dollars and something. Mildly embarrassed for having a stomach bigger than my wallet, I asked, "Ben . . . combien pour les deux cinnamon rolls alors?" Now the total came to three dollars and some odd cents. Hurrah! I handed him my cash. He gave me the change.

"Vous pouvez avoir la baguette," he said nudging the baguette toward me.

"Pardon?" I asked, not sure if I understood him.

"Vous pouvez prendre la baguette," he said reassuring me it was okay to take it.

"Que vous êtes très gentil," I said and told him I'd gladly pay for the baguette on my next visit.

I returned today for more cinnamon rolls and to compensate the baker for the bread. He politely declined the offer which I found to be most gentlemanly. If he had silver candlesticks and a goblet he might have offered that as well. Maybe if this baby's a girl, we'll name her Cosette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home