Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Bloodborne pathogens: friend or foe

Just yesterday my wife returned home from work to find me eyeball-deep in an online training session on bloodborne pathogens.

I know what you people are wondering. You're wondering what type of job I have that I need to engross myself with the spreading of bloodborne pathogens. Go ahead. Say it.

You're wondering this very thing.

I don't generally discuss work here for a number of reasons, the main one being that I want to be able to secure a job in the future without my potential employer being concerned that I'm going to blather all the corporate secrets and dirty laundry on my blog. I'm honestly not about that, but you never know what a paranoid potential boss is going to think. I also like to use my corner of the innerwebs as a place to excape from work, which means when it comes to worky worky the rule on my blog is no talky talky.

Me love work long time.

That being said, I teach English to people who speak their own kinda talk at home. I only bring it up because I want to point out I'm not in a job where I generally encounter bloodborne pathogens during my day. I work contractually for very few hours and we just don't practice surgery in my class. We don't tattoo. We don't inject. And none of us are blood brothers.

I do work out of a state agency though, so I'm guessing this mandate was a hand-me-down from some higher ups at the state level in case one of my students decides to self-amputate during the final exam. At least now I know how to handle the situation.

Note to self: Buy Laytex gloves.

No glove; no abstract non-count noun expressing like or emotion.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mom101 said...

Eek. Just eek.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 2:46:00 PM  
Blogger e said...

you should probably start carrying a small spray bottle filled with a half and half bleach/water solution.

just in case.

this would also come in handy in the event of a mugging.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Hehehe.

I'm a nurse. I know all about bloodbourne pathogens.

Be sure to stock up on bleach wipes. Just in case you encounter blood...somewhere at work.

Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know your EAP? Cells + 911 = hopefully you never get elbow deep in someone else's blood.

Yeah anon again. But we are too local and I blog from work and would get fired. Please just accept that I like your blog and we could be neighbors. OK?

Thursday, May 08, 2008 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm...what's an EAP? I googled it and still feel dumb.

Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest Nitrile (the PC glove) rather than latex. Because some poor soul might have allergies. And that would be a shame.

Thursday, May 08, 2008 11:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home