Monday, May 12, 2008

Atlanta Rollergirls


Now y'all who read my blog more often than you clean your baseboards know that I seldom if ever ask you to give to any charities or anything like that. I don't ask people to jump rope for the cure or any other such nonsense. Just not my bag. But please hear me out. There are people who need your help.

I'm talking of course about the Atlanta Rollergirls. They kick ass and everyone who's anyone should run out and buy tickets to their next gig. I don't know when it is. Check their site by clicking hither.

Oh wait. That's wrong. Don't click there.

No, really. Don't. Please.

Here's their site: www.atlantarollergirls.com I knew I had it somewhere in my favorites.

The missus and I went to see them do their thing a couple of days ago and -- let me tell you -- you haven't lived until you've seen live roller derby. Remember Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling? This is even better.

I'm talking sexy chicks on wheels! Mean women. The kind your mother warned you about and the kind your father secretly hoped you'd bring home so she could help build a new back deck or change a carburetor. I'm talking about chicks pushing other chicks off the track so they go sailing into the audience.

And whatever your taste in roller derby queens, there's something here for everyone. From what I could gather after watching the Apocalypstix take on the Sake Tuyas, roller derby is kinda like tug-of-war. You want people of all shapes and sizes.

Hey, remember what Freddy Mercury said? They make the rockin' world go round, right? Well, when it comes to roller derby those girls make the rockin' world go

round and round,
oh round and round
The meanest hunk o woman
That anybody ever seen
Down in the arena

I'm trying to come up with a way to express to you the fun Elaine and I had on our latest mystery date but frankly words elude me at this point. How can one accurately describe an atmosphere where tailgaters are welcome to imbibe in the parking lot (and bring in their own bubbly for a couple dollars) while those with preschoolers are welcome to bring their progeny in to see the show? We didn't bring Meryl on this go-around, but there were little ones there, and I dare say they enjoyed watching the game. Some of the little ones in the audience even had moms on the rink!

I'm not making this up, people.

So please. Operators are standing by and the Atlanta Rollergirls need your help. Sure, they perform at the Yaarab Shrine temple on East Ponce, but those shriners are too busy helping needy children to donate money to the bloodbath that is Atlanta roller derby. The future of roller derby is in your hands.

You simply have to see it to believe it, folks.

Trust me on this one.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Meryl. . .if she's got Elaine's talent on skates she'll never make the team

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be singing the Mystery Date song for the next 3 days. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome. i heard them on the radio recently, thought about going to see the mayhem.

you just sealed the deal! now i just need to talk kristy into it...

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been born of a time where I had the good fortune to watch Skinny Minny Miller and Paul "The Bear" Rupert kick some serious butt on TV, I am soooo jealous that Roller Derby is making a comeback in the States - I have yet to find anything like it here. We're so provincial. Wah.

Monday, May 26, 2008 12:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about the roller derby... Where have you been, no posts in a while! Check mine out I just started a blog.

Monday, June 09, 2008 9:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home