Friday, June 20, 2008

What had happened was . . .

There are those who like to apologize for their absence from the innerwebs by prefacing their buhterial with some long diatribe as to why they haven't blogged in so long. Then there's me.

Movin' on.

I have recently begun taking the local movie theater up on their offer of a free kids' movie once a week. At two years of age, Meryl is limited in the amount of time she can successfully spend in a dark room crowded with half-eaten tubs of popcorn and sugar-laden daycare kids, so we've yet to make it through an entire film. Fine with me. Somehow neither Evan Almighty nor Doogal really managed to keep me on the edge of my seat for very long.

You see, the movie is free but pickings are slim. On our most recent trip, we could have seen Shrek 3, but since I haven't seen the first two episodes in the Shrek trilogy, I'm sure I'd be lost. The other option was a Veggie Tales flick.

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the allure of proselytizing legumes that want me to accept them as my personal lord an savior. That's wrong an that's ig'nant. Don't get me started.

Another new local diversion for us has been the Goodwill store. I have written about the Goodwill before. Readers can learn more about my experiences with this charity-driven bargain barn by clicking here. But remember! Kevin is a monkey so he can do things you can't do.

Goodwill is nice because I don't have to worry about Meryl breaking things anymore than they're already broken. Plus the store's not that big so I can usually find a comfy spot on a dusty couch while she runs around or tries out the circa-1984 treadmill. The thing's not turned on so for some reason she likes to jump on it like a trampoline. Sure, we get a few stares from fellow shoppers, but who cares? They're not the boss of me.

One granola looking grandma in a pink tanktop and faded camo pants (both of which looked like she had bought them on a previous visit to the store I might add) did rub me the wrong way by asking if I was "babysitting today." God, how I hate that. I responded with my usual No, I'm parenting. I do it everyday to which she replied Let me get back there and check out that sewing machine, wouldya? I think she was one of those ebay people.

Anyway, parenting is good, marriage is good, and life is good.

It's all good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Becky said...

You were just jealous of Granny's camo pants. Admit it, Kevin. Just admit it.

Friday, June 20, 2008 12:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Curious George reference.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful Monday! I love you guys!

The Mommoo

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mackenzie said...

I LOVE thrift stores. I buy most of my books at thrift stores and then after I'm done reading them I try and sell them on ebay. Most of the time I just get my money back.

I love getting lost and having to read every title of every book. Freaking awesome. On my last trip I found Good to Great, Freakonomics, Shopgirl, The Razor's Edge and Politika....all for the bargain dollar price of $3. I'm sorry, but you can't beat that shit. You just can't.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home